We arrived in Marmaris, Turkey, our outbound destination in the Mediterranean on 1 October 2010. This was an amazingly accurate arrival date for us since we rarely do things according to plan. After spending four winters aboard Gyatso, we decided that it was time to take a short break and spend more time in the off-season visiting family and friends. Less than a week after arriving in Turkey, Gyatso was hauled-out of the water and stored on land while we returned to the US.
Just before we were scheduled to return to Turkey in December, we decided to extend our stay for an additional two months to catch-up on a long list personal business matters and health issues in our hometown of Annapolis, MD. Although it was one of the snowiest winters on record in Washington, DC area, the weather wasn’t great in Turkey either. When we finally returned to Marmaris in early February, everyone was complaining about the wind, rain and winter storms — if they only knew! At least it’s much easier to deal with on land than when you’re living aboard.
We rented an apartment in Marmaris for a month while we prepared Gyatso for launching on 13 March. We spent another month finishing a long list of refit and repair projects before declaring the list “done enough” in mid-April.
Links to logbook entries for “wintering-over” in Marmaris, Turkey and Annapolis, Maryland are coming soon! (We appreciate your patience while we move our Sailing logbook archive to this new website platform.)
- Ready for Departure (4/14/10)
- Life Aboard our Floating Home (3/24/10)
- Around Town in Marmaris (3/21/10)
- Daily Life at the Boatyard in Marmaris (3/7/10)
- Preparations Underway in Marmaris for Another Sailing Season (2/22/10)
- Happy New Year from Annapolis! We postponed our return to Marmaris (1/10/10)
- Arrival in Marmaris, Turkey (10/1/09)
Refit & Repair Logbook Entries
- Fuel tank replacement (2/15/20)
- Mainsail boom refinishing (4/2/10)
- Galley sink, countertop and water heater refit (4/11/10)
- Fried eggs with Turkish sausage (4/4/10)