[Page under Construction: Please be patient while we rebuild links to the content listed below.]
This section of the Gyatso website contains information about refitting our 1985 Tayana 37 for long distance cruising and offshore sailing. We are the fourth owners. The previous owners were seasonal coastal cruisers, so we conducted a major refit during the first year of our cruise, including replacement of headsails, standing rigging, chainplates, refrigeration and communications systems and the addition of solar panels, Monitor windvane and other equipment upgrades. For more information about our initial refit, see Refit & Repair Project Summary 2005-2008.
While preparing to visit the Black Sea in 2010, we tackled some additional maintenance and repair tasks in Marmaris, Turkey, including the replacement of our diesel fuel tank located under the V-berth in the bow. For more information about this major project, see Fuel Tank Replacement in Marmaris, Turkey.
Click on the links below to learn more about the refit and repair projects we have undertaken since purchasing our “good old boat” in 2005:
- Fuel tank replacement (2/15/10)
- Mainsail boom refinishing (4/2/10)
- Galley sink, countertop and water heater refit (4/11/10)
- Doing Battle with the ‘War of Wires’ in our Nav Station (3/1/08)
- Refit & Repair Project Summary (2005 to 2008)
- Sails and Rigging – Headsails, main sail, standing rigging, chainplates and lifelines
- Communication Systems – SSB radio, satellite phone, Navtex, VHF radio, laptop computers
- Electrical Systems – Battery charger, solar panels, bonding system
- Navigation – Electronic charting, AIS, radar, wind speed indicator, paper charts… details coming soon!
- Refrigeration – Out with the old and in with the new
- Freshwater Systems – Water filter, water heater, water pump, no water maker
- Engine and Fuel System – Alternator, raw water pump,, fuel filters, cleaning the fuel tank
- Yacht Canvas – Bimini, dodger, butterfly hatch cover, sun awning
- Brightwork – Exterior and interior
- Interior Cabin – Galley counters, cushions and upholstery, etc.
- Rudder and Self Steering – Rudder repairs, electronic autopilot and windvane
- Anchoring System – Windlass, Delta, CQR
- Barrier Coat and Bottom Paint – Barrier coat repairs, rudder moisture, bottom painting
Related Sailing Logbook Entries
After purchasing our Tayana 37 in Yarmouth, ME, we sailed to Annapolis, MD, St. Augustine, FL, the Bahamas and back again — an extended shake-down voyage while completing refit projects along the way. During our first year of cruising full-time, we made three stop-overs to work on refit and repair projects:
- Preparations in Annapolis for Caribbean 1500 Rally, 7/4/06-10/30/06
- Stop-over in St. Augustine, Florida, 2/27/06-4/24/06
- At home port in Annapolis, 11/21/05-01/06/06